Wednesday, January 24, 2007

stuff!

Hey peeps!

The last couple days have rocked. On Monday night I was part of a video crew that taped a poetry reading at Barnard (the all-girl version of Columbia...which is right across the street), and that was a bit hectic. At first I showed up all cool, I was strapping the bestest camera there and had mad street cred (being a part of PBC and all). It was business as usual and I set up. With one of the camera guys' help, I learned a little bit about shutter speed and its effect on the HVX's image. Then the actual taping began.
I had a random error right off the bat. The camera would tape for three seconds and then locked up - something I've never had to deal with on any camera, ever. Let me tell ya, I STUDIED the manual for this one before I ever turned on the camera, and there was nothing I could recall that ever mentioned this. It was a straight up real-world issue that I had to deal with...luckily the sound guy was there to help out. We ejected the DV tape and put it back in - and this fixed the lock-up. Of course, by then the presentation was about 5 minutes in, but with two other cameras rolling (and one getting a sound feed), they were totally covered.
I also learned that for event coverage, using manual focus and/or the zoom ring is OUT. Auto-focusing is not only easier, but doing any pans to areas where the focus changes, it's freakin mandatory. Switching from the zoom ring to servo-zoom helps tremendously for smooth zooming. My zooms looked like crap.

All in all it was a positive learning experience - and the camera earned some dough towards its rent.

On Tuesday Z and I interviewed MC Lars - the self-styled "laptop rapper" who has been cited by many as a part of the NerdCore scene for years and years. He himself said that non-nerds who listen to it are mainly drawn out of novelty, which is hella true. It was great to listen to a really smart guy talk plainly about the genre that he's a part of without any reservations. In 2008, he predicted Paris Hilton will release a nerdcore song. On that day, we'll all have to shoot ourselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home